The Fun That Was Peace Corps Guyana - Mark's Blog

Postings from just north of the equator. Let's see if training in CPR and First Aid prepares me to teach Health Education in a small, remote village in Guyana. I'm thinking... no. Read all about this ill advised decision! In addition, here is the required Peace Corps disclaimer: "The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the US government or the Peace Corps." So, please, don't confuse me with the White House Press Secretary.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Peace Corps Volunteer

You are no longer reading about a Peace Corps Trainee. I'm an officialy, full-fledged Peace Corps Volunteer! Whoo-hoo! Actually, I feel largely the same. It was kinda funny. We are at our ceremony, we are told to stand up and repeat and oath, and suddenly we are PCVs. It was kinda like, that's it? Oh well. I'm excited. Our whole group made it, which makes us just the second Peace Corps Guyana group to get through training intact. And now that I'm a PCV, it's a lot harder for them to kick me out. So now I'm in it for the long haul.

But I feel like Friday is a bigger day. We move out to our sites Friday morning. So today is spent packing and saying goodbye to all my friends in GUY17 (my PC health group). It's actually pretty sad to say goodbye. These people are amazing, and I feel like I've really bonded with many of them. Though some are going to be close enough to see fairly frequently if I would like, a few of my best friends are on the other side of Guyana. So I'll only be able to see them every few months, when we all have to come into Georgetown for something. So today is farewell day.

Anyways, life is good down here. I'm ready to start working at my site. I'm excited to finally be on my own, no longer living with a host family. And I'm happy to finally start my two years. I now get to start to save a little part of the world. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lili said...

Congratulations Mark!! Glad to know you will still be there when I arrive. Your site sounds awsome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home