The Fun That Was Peace Corps Guyana - Mark's Blog

Postings from just north of the equator. Let's see if training in CPR and First Aid prepares me to teach Health Education in a small, remote village in Guyana. I'm thinking... no. Read all about this ill advised decision! In addition, here is the required Peace Corps disclaimer: "The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the US government or the Peace Corps." So, please, don't confuse me with the White House Press Secretary.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

November Thoughts

Well, I thought I'd do another post just because it has been so long. Obviously there hasn't been much Peace Corps news now that I'm in Washington DC. Let me just say, though, that DC is crawling with RPCVs. If you ever have that nagging feeling that you are special because you did Peace Corps and you want to get rid of that feeling, come to DC. I'll pretty much guarantee you'll run into a RPCV on the street who can anticipate all your stories. But that's actually okay - it's fun to hear how similar other countries are. And it keeps your ego in check.

Also, I wanted to post because I know it is getting to that time of year when PC sends out invitations for Guyana. And that, of course, leads to googling "Guyana" and finding this blog eventually. If that's you and you feel like trying to find a real live Peace Corps volunteer, I suggest playing on Facebook. There are a number of Peace Corps Guyana Facebook groups there that you can join. I would start by searching for "Guyana RPCVs" - from them you can find lots of good groups or whatever that will let you obsess and ask lots of questions that may or may not be answered. But remember, half the fun of PC is just showing up and going with the flow. I'm not going to say that the ability to do that is necessary, but it sure makes life a whole lot easier down there (anywhere, in fact).

The weather is hovering in the mid-thirties here and my body, after two years near the equator, is not happy. Almost makes me pine for the days of sweating through my shirt just when sitting. Ah... memories. And good luck to those of you about to start the fun down there. Enjoy your last holidays up here for a while.

9 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Rani_of_NY said...

Hi Mark,

If you miss Guyana, nothing to worry about. Stop by Liberty Avenue in Queens whenever you come to NY. We have a little place called Richmond Hill where thousands of Guyanese have migrated to. I'll even give you a tour if you like...its fun to read how you 'exoticize' the place we have all fled...for one reason or another...

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger ..Ang.. said...

I've enjoyed reading up on your experiences in Guyana. I am one of those people who was just placed in Guyana with a February departure. But I promise not to obsess or annoy you with questions.

Cheers to you.

Ang

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger jeffvel said...

Hi Mark! Loved reading your blogs. It was as if I was back in Guyana so many moons ago! What group number were you? I was "Guyana 5". I was assigned to a village called Crabwood Creek. Do you know if it is still an active placement site? For me it's been 10 years since my experience. I have fond memories of the fruit and food of Guyana especially the 7 curry and roti!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger GuyaneseMark said...

Yeah, I think there was someone from GUY15 placed in Crabwood Creek. I was GUY17. I don't know if anyone since has been placed there - I don't think so, unless someone in the newest groups. And yeah, I kinda miss the seven curry too. And cook-up!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger bob wong said...

Mark,
Great blog. I'm working through from the start. Got any more pictures?
Bob

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Menno said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Menno said...

Fantastic Blog Mark! I am trying to find out whether I would like it to live in Georgetown for a few years. Seems quite different from what I am used to in western Europe.... I start to think that it would be a really good idea to go (if they pick me of course). Thanks for your help! Menno

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Steve (楊國昌) said...

Hey Mark
I'm going to Guyana next Feb '10, and wanted to see if I could email you some questions, especially pertaining to vacationing and applying to grad schools!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

thanks for this post! I just got done googling "Guyana" and found this, just as you said! i'm leaving in February! and i am SO EXCITED!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home